[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sun Dec 7 22:34:47 PST 2008

Quoting Ben Finney (bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au):

> One of my problems is solved with SSH and screen (and hence is no
> longer a problem). I'm asking about a solution for the problem
> described above. If it's ???the wrong problem???, I'm happy to learn
> why, so long as it doesn't involve telling me that I don't want what I
> want.

No, I don't do that.  That would be dumb.

If you indeed need to have CPU and RAM on a machine remote from you,
then clearly you should logically be comparing remote-graphics
mechanisms.  Personally, I find having a reasonable laptop machine in
front of me is sufficient to handle graphics apps (seldom more than a
browser and a few terminals) locally in a satisfactory way, but your
mix of X11 apps presumably differs quite a bit from that.