[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Sat Dec 6 02:33:00 PST 2008

Rick Moen:
> Quoting Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net):
> > Or maybe choose a turn of phrase that doesn't sound like "on the
> > Earth where I live, like a sensible person."
>
> You might have had a point, had the preceding sentence _not_ been
> "Meanwhile, my machines are not built for your daughter's convenience,
> but rather mine."

Which could be read as a rather cold statement about his family, in
the context of the phrase that followed!

> At some point, the desire for 8x10 colour glossy pictures with a
> paragraph on the back of each one, to further clarify a paragraph's
> meaning in context, becomes excessive.

Really, Rick, I do mean it when I say that I know you well enough that I
did not interpret your mail this way.  But you do use a blisteringly
elitist tone (as is encouraged by this list, I'm sure!) that colors your
statements more than a little.

I'm sure you can always fall back to one sentence you used that has the
effect of an "I'm not $FOOist, but…" apology, but you can't fault
readers for hitting a few paragraphs of sucks/rules opinions and
interpreting it as you speaking generally for the world.

--
A: No.                                                 Nick Moffitt
Q: Should I put my reply above quoted text?           nick@zork.net