[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au
Fri Dec 5 20:54:35 PST 2008

Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> writes:

> Quoting Ben Finney (bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au):
>
> > Is that in the ???apart from all the other forms??? meaning of
> > ???worst???? Or do you recommend a replacement for my current
> > XDMCP session?

Something seems to be eating non-ASCII characters in my Unicode
messages when they get quoted back to me.

> Well, my own form of remote session is shell over ssh. I'm betting
> that won't always Work for You<tm>, though.

Works very well for me and I love it.

However, I also run my entire desktop on a server-role machine (in a
distant cabinet) that has the RAM and CPU power to handle it, and
export run a quiet less-powerful console machine on my desk. Hence, I
want to export my entire X11 session over the network.

> (It's my experience that when someone says "How do I export my
> entire X11 session over the network?", he/she turns out upon
> examination to be solving the wrong problem.

One of my problems is solved with SSH and screen (and hence is no
longer a problem). I'm asking about a solution for the problem
described above. If it's “the wrong problem”, I'm happy to learn
why, so long as it doesn't involve telling me that I don't want what I
want.

--
 \     “If you ever teach a yodeling class, probably the hardest thing |
  `\      is to keep the students from just trying to yodel right off. |