[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 5 17:24:18 PST 2008

Quoting Ben Finney (bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au):

> I'll chip in another vote for interpreting the above phrase that way
> in Rick's message. From that the whole ???I'm telling you how it really
> is as opposed to what you believe??? perception follows.

Yes, people ignoring immediate context, such as the immediately
preceding sentence within the very same paragraph, is unfortunately endemic
among computerists.  Nothing to be done about it, I guess, except donate
some spare ducats to the Asperger Syndrome Foundation.

> Is that in the ???apart from all the other forms??? meaning of ???worst????
> Or do you recommend a replacement for my current XDMCP session?

Well, my own form of remote session is shell over ssh.  I'm betting that
won't always Work for You<tm>, though.  (It's my experience that when
someone says "How do I export my entire X11 session over the network?",
he/she turns out upon examination to be solving the wrong problem.

(Gee, I hope I don't need to start appending a footer saying "views
expressed are not necessarily purported to suit all featherless
bipeds in all living situations on all continents at all times.)