[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Fri Dec 5 16:54:03 PST 2008

Rick Moen:
>     In my world, automounters tend to cause more trouble than they merit.
>
> Ah, that must have been the problem.  Need to use massively more
> underscores in the future.

Or maybe choose a turn of phrase that doesn't sound like "on the Earth
where I live, like a sensible person."

> Still no compelling use for automounting of casual storage, though --
> mostly more cruft to go wrong, where present.

I do find the very idea kind of nerve-wracking, but this use case has
been rather well tested.  At least these systems are often using /media
instead of turning /mnt into a Brigadoon of FAT-formatted user-owned
filesystems.

> This did not strike me as a happy situation:  In my view, basic
> OS-level operations like filesystem management shouldn't require that
> not only X11 but also session management, object broker services, and
> an entire "desktop environment" brass band be on the march.  Nothing
> wrong with GNOME/X11 being available as front-end management interface
> #1 of n, to such back-end functionality, of course.  That's how *ix
> retains network transparency in X11.

Hear, hear!

> I'm joking, of course.  Network transparency in X11 is appreciated
> _only_ by diehards who actually understand the concept of modularity.

(and who don't mind the fact that remote X11 is the worst form of
network-transparent graphical rendering we have in Linux)

--
BitKeeper, how quaint.                         Nick Moffitt
                -- Alan Cox                   nick@zork.net