[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 5 16:36:11 PST 2008

Quoting Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net):

> I dunno, I'll raise my hand and say I read your post that way as well.
> I know you better than that, so I figured out what you actually meant;
> but the elitist tone definitely poo-pooed all the user-space
> infrastructure to this in a way that made it all sound supremely useless
> in the general case.

I could have sworn I was really clear about saying that in _my_ world,
automounters tend to cause more trouble than they merit.  But I could
be misremembering.  Let's check ye olde sent-mail mbox:

    In my world, automounters tend to cause more trouble than they merit.

Ah, that must have been the problem.  Need to use massively more
underscores in the future.

I didn't mean "my world" always and everywhere.  $ORK uses quite a great
quantity of autofs maps, as one prime example.  Still no compelling use
for automounting of casual storage, though -- mostly more cruft to go
wrong, where present.

> I'm curious about the details, though.  Is there some sort of deficiency
> in this whole chain of device notification and identification software?

Well, when I checked into the available volume-handlers atop HAL in
early days, at the time you had your choice of gnome-volume-manager with
its entire wedding party of dependencies, or, if you didn't want to make
OS-level basic functions hostage to a desktop environment, there was at
the time one less-bloated alternative that worked somewhat, for some but
not all needed functions.

This did not strike me as a happy situation:  In my view, basic OS-level
operations like filesystem management shouldn't require that not only X11
but also session management, object broker services, and an entire
"desktop environment" brass band be on the march.  Nothing wrong with
GNOME/X11 being available as front-end management interface #1 of n, to
such back-end functionality, of course.  That's how *ix retains network
transparency in X11.

I'm joking, of course.  Network transparency in X11 is appreciated
_only_ by diehards who actually understand the concept of modularity.

> Or is this all a completely solved problem for you, and there's a
> simple "Disabling the Automounter and Catching HAL Signals From a
> Python Script HOWTO" that you recommend?

Interesting question.  If you know of same, I'm interested.  Lacking
anything reasonable, I find that mount/umount aren't particularly broken.
Still.  (Of course, there are excess-hassle scenarios -- which I do not
happen to currently occupy.  I could have sworn that was implicit,
before, but being painfully precise in talking to computer users has
advantages, I guess.)