[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Fri Dec 5 16:15:34 PST 2008

Rick Moen:
> Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):
> > But you originally started ranting about HAL and automounters as if no
> > one needed them at all.                                       ^^^^^^^^
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Some lessons could probably help that reading-comprehension problem,
> you know.

I dunno, I'll raise my hand and say I read your post that way as well.
I know you better than that, so I figured out what you actually meant;
but the elitist tone definitely poo-pooed all the user-space
infrastructure to this in a way that made it all sound supremely useless
in the general case.

I'm curious about the details, though.  Is there some sort of deficiency
in this whole chain of device notification and identification software?
Is there some interface the automounter has access to that you wish were
more accessible to the generalist sysadmin and shell scripter?  Or is
this all a completely solved problem for you, and there's a simple
"Disabling the Automounter and Catching HAL Signals From a Python Script
HOWTO" that you recommend?

--
On my tv show, when I say "and where do we put policy?"      Nick Moffitt
the audience will yell "USERSPACE!"  -- Sean Q. Neakums     nick@zork.net