[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Dec 5 14:25:41 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 12:41:23PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):
>
> > But you do need persistant device naming for your printers, that is why
> > the whole udev thing was started in the first place
>
> I appreciate that.  Specifically, _USB_ printers, since no prior interface
> suffered USB's hapless ambiguity about addressing.  (That is one of
> several reasons I'd far rather have a network printer, generally.)
>
> Of course, two USB printers on one box is seldom seen.

Perhaps in your household, not in mine.  Actually it's quite common on a
print server, which would be that network printer device there :)

> > How does it "just work"?  I have about 10 different usb storage devices
> > here, and more collect every day.  You need some type of "automount"
> > system to be able to do this properly
>
> No, you don't.
>
> Again, "collecting more each day" is another edge case.  Even seriously
> geeky people at most have two or three banging around their pockets,
> changing that population only once in a blue moon.

Have you not visited a trade show recently?  They are given out more
than candy these days.

> So, you go do "mount /dev/sdb1 /media/blah", hmm, doesn't work,
> "mount /dev/sdc1 /media/blah".  If that still doesn't work, peek at the
> end of the logfile, resubmit mount invocation, done.
>
> If the above gets to be a hassle, add their UUIDs to /etc/fstab.

Yes, for you, running mount by hand is fine.

But you originally started ranting about HAL and automounters as if no
one needed them at all.  Just because you don't, doesn't mean that no
one does.

Again, if you don't like HAL and dbus, then don't run it, no one is
forcing you to do so.

So stop the whining, it's pointless, and definitely not "elite".

thanks,

greg k-h