[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@etrumeus.com
Fri Dec 5 13:02:44 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 12:41:23PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> > Oh, and are you going to tell my daughter to go edit
> > /etc/fstab just to plug in her new usb drive that she bought
> > at the store?
>
> I don't think your daughter and I have even been formally
> introduced, Greg.  ;->
>
> Meanwhile, my machines are not built for your daughter's
> convenience, but rather mine.  In my world, automounters tend
> to cause more trouble than they merit.

Seems that it should have been clear for some time now that KDE
and GNOME are *not* built for the convenience of elitists (as
that term is understood in the context of this mailing list).

Those of us who think little of firing up sudo $EDITOR /etc/fstab
are the edge case, to those projects.

Why this is so, and whether it should be so, and if and how to
make it not be so, seem to be more the honest heart of the
discussion.

Or, to put it another way:

You know, I hear that there's absolutely *nothing* standing in
the way of setting up your own top-level domain!  How *cool* is
that?

--
Joe