[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 5 11:06:11 PST 2008

Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

> Then go back to a 5 year old distro and see how well it works for
> dynamic devices and proper multi-user permissions on those devices.

Succinctly put.

A system events such as loading a module, pressing a hotkey, closing a
laptop lid, inserting or removing a dynamic device occurs.  With the
last of those as an example, attaching or removing a USB flash drive
triggers kobject uevent() or kobject uevent env() in the kernel, which
transmits the event to udevd, which registers it in an abstract socket,
managing device nodes according to rules in /etc/udev.  HAL reads that
event, coreates a device object under /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/, and
emits a DeviceAdded signal.  Which signal applications can then notice
via the D-BUS system bus.  Right?

That's all fine.  Where I have a problem is the need to run some
squirrely automounter just to be able to deal with the occasional
comings and goings of USB flash drives, printers, and so on.  I don't
acquire and throw away printers like tissue paper, and mount/umount for
dynamic drive volumes with proper user permissions suits me just fine.
You set it up in /etc/fstab, if necessary with UUID references, and it
Just Works.

As such, I really don't want to go visit GNOME Desktop -> Preferences ->
Removable Drives and Media to configure what gnome-volume-manager/pmount-hal
do when that flash drive comes or goes -- because more than likely I
don't want GNOME Desktop and all of its kin.  Nor the kio_media stuff,
nor Thunar/gamin/pmount.

It's madness to require layers upon layers of libs/daemons, all with
long, fragile dependency lists, and one of {supermount|submount|ivman}
as autmounter.  I shouldn't need to run an automounter at all, just to
mount/umount freakin' flash drives.