[linux-elitists] RIP Ed Foster

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Sun Aug 3 09:15:54 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 15:43 -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> We've lost a few members of what I consider to the the home team in
> recent weeks.  First Joe Barr, now InfoWorld Gripe Line columnist and
> blogger, Ed Foster.
[snip]

He introduced me to his Gripeline on Early Early InfoWorld Electric.

I wrote him and e-mail complaining about 3Com's lack of proper Warranty
support for (near 100% failure rate) ISA NICs (4 100-pack boxes full)
[SNIP boring 3Com support nightmare]

Ed basically said: "Come Join the Fun at the InforWorld:Electric Forums"

Very simply put, he was the reason I eventually got to plague this list.
Without that single invitation I'd probably missed the whole Sandy Reed
"NT is the FEW-CHURE" and the OS/2 ballot stuff for "Product of the
year" and her deciding herself what to publish for that list.

Joe Barr was part of that IW:E (as papajoe I think) and never woudl have
even been properly exposed to Brett Glass, or the Wonder Twins or Nic
Peterley and the creation/ideas of LinuxWorld evolving...

> Thanks, Ed, for everything.  We'll miss you.

Oh yes, everything it is, at least from my perspective.

Did my first installation of Linux as a mail-server (sendmail/pop) and
internet gateway with RedHat v4.something about three months later. To
give you a timeline.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05