[linux-elitists] Research Project: Legislation that impacts information rights

John Mark Walker johnmark@johnmark.org
Wed Apr 9 01:48:51 PDT 2008

Greetings,

As Ilan and I attempt to document all of the various ways that the US
government has tweaked (butchered?) IP laws, I was wondering if anyone can
help pull together the pieces of legislation that I should look at. So far,
I have these:

Federal government -

DMCA 1998
Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act of 2007 (HR811)
FAIR USE Act of 2007 ( H.R. 1201)
PERFORM Act  (S. 256)
Open Government Act 2007 (S. 849 / H.R. 1309)
Organization for Intellectual Property (PRO IP) Act of 2007
H.R.1908 - Patent Reform Act of 2007
The Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act of 2004  (S.2560)
Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act of 2003 (HR 107)
Digital Media Consumer's Rights Act of 2005 (H.R.1201)
H.R. 3155: Intellectual Property Enhanced Criminal Enforcement Act of
2007
H. Res. 231, H.Res. 169,  and (H.R. 170 the Sunlight Act of 2007)

And on a California state level:

California Induce Act SB 96 (2005)
California  AB1668 - ODF / Open Standards in Government

If you can think of any more, whether on a state or federal level, I
would appreciate it. Basically, we're researching who supported and voted
for these bills, and which lobbyist groups supported which politicians.
We will then publish the information at http://deki.bytesfree.org/

One bill that comes to mind that I may have missed is the Sonny Bono
copyright act. But basically, we're looking for any legislation, good or
bad, which has had an impact on our ability to access and utilize
information.

-JM