[linux-elitists] How about digital voice recorders while we're at it? (was: Re: Portable music player?)

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Wed Apr 9 01:07:18 PDT 2008

On 16-Mar-2008, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm looking for a good digital voice recorder which saves to a
> reasonably supported standard, and has good general features.

I'm mulling a purchase of a Zoom H2 Handy Recorder
<URL:http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/>, especially since it
has had some favourable reviews
<URL:http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2007/09/13/review-zoom-h2-surround-recorder.html>
<URL:http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/mp3/samson-zoom-h2-recorder-review.html>.

> Feature list:
>
>   - Save to WAV, MP3, OGG (fat chance), or another open standard audio
>     format.

The Zoom H2 saves to WAV and MP3.

>   - "Supported" == can play/edit w/ xmms, audacity, and/or sox.

Presumably satisfied by the above recording formats.

>   - File transfer capabilities.  Usually means "treat device like a USB
>     drive".

Reviews say this is exactly what the Zoom H2 does.

>   - Good navigation on the unit itself.  Skipping between recordings,
>     forward/back scan w/in a given recording, bookmarking w/in
>     recordings.

Dunno.

>   - High capacity.  30 - 100+ hours would be good.

The Zoom H2 takes an SD card for its storage (it comes with a 512MB
card), and is specified as supporting cards of capacities up to 16GB.

A 16GB SD card equates to about 24 hours of WAV, or 280+ hours of MP3,
according to the specs.

Note that maximum filesize is still 2GB.

>   - Capable of taking rechargeable batteries.

The Zoom H2 takes two AA batteries; presumably they can be
rechargeable ones. It also can be powered from a plug pack.

--
 \     "Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country." |
  `\                                                  -- Steven Wright |