[linux-elitists] More fun with git: etckeeper

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 4 10:53:21 PDT 2008

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org):

> Anyone else running etckeeper?

I've been slowly rolling it out, here, using the default git repository
instead of the Hg option.  (Last I checked the package in Debian-sid, it
didn't include the more-recent patch to enable use of bzr.  Joey might
or might not have merged that patch, upstream:  I haven't checked.  /me
checks: yes, he has.)

It's going to be particularly useful as a safety net for any dumb
editing errors I might make in /etc/bind/* -- BIND9's error trapping
being about on par with those of a dead badger.[1]

Thank you, Joey!

So, what git tutorials should I sink into, these days?

[1] In particular, I refer to the awesomely effective "I don't like
your zonefile but refuse to say why" hat-trick.