[linux-elitists] More fun with git: etckeeper

Phil Mayers p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 07:50:36 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:44:54PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
>Anyone else running etckeeper?  I have some fairly

On servers, I actually adopted the opposite solution - /etc is pushed
from a server to the clients, using cfengine.

Highly satisfactory - in particular, the "copy" actions can "define"
classes if a file was actually different and trigger daemon restarts,
"make" invocations, etc.

Not /etc but I have cfengine plugins (based on ideas from Jeremy Mates'
website sial.org) which distribute SSH "authorized_keys" and manage
SElinux booleans.

Of course, one could "push" /etc to a server using a config management
program of choice, then "git" into a repo for archival purposes, but I
prefer to discourage this, and encourage the attitude of machines as
disposable and quickly re-install-able.