[linux-elitists] More fun with git: etckeeper

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Apr 2 21:44:54 PDT 2008

Anyone else running etckeeper?  I have some fairly
complex Apache config files for virtual hosts and
stuff, and thought I'd give it a try.

  http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/etckeeper/

On a new "tablet" laptop, I ended up dorking around
with xorg.conf in order to get the graphics tablet
functionality working right (and not turning clicks
into double clicks) and etckeeper really came in
handy.  Another nifty thing is the way it hooks into
apt so you don't lose your config file permanently
if you blow it away on an upgrade.  Most slick.

Also having to do some editing of ACPI scripts to get
sleep working properly -- now getting good results
with these notes:
  http://bayleshanks.com/tips-computer-lenovoX61t-gnuLinuxSetup

But hey, it's nice to be able to do...
  sudo git commit -a -m "ACPI tweak from
  http://bayleshanks.com/tips-computer-lenovoX61t-gnuLinuxSetup"

Anyway, etckeeper is already turning out to be useful
for me and I haven't even had to mess with mod_rewrite
rules yet.  Fun fun.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/