[linux-elitists] Gentoo, linux users too can be racers

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Oct 29 23:27:49 PDT 2007

<quote who="Modus Operandi">

> Besides, if these libs are needed, they will be deps for the next thing
> Granny installs, so they'll just be reinstalled -- a waste of bandwidth,
> perhaps, but very convenient for the non-31337.

'cept on a release distro, you'll get them from /var/cache/apt/archives, and
only go to the network if there's an update. Yay.

> Ubuntu used to be much worse in this regard. Around the Hoary/Breezy era,
> I seem to recall that the server edition installed all sorts of desktop
> crap. Nowadays, the Gutsy installer lets you install just ssh if you
> really don't want LAMP or anything on there. Useful if you want to install
> a barebone host OS to run virtualized servers.

Ubuntu has always had a small install set without desktop foo, it's just
more obvious now that it was then. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

                Patches are like Free Software love letters.