[linux-elitists] Gentoo, linux users too can be racers

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Oct 29 20:37:06 PDT 2007

<quote who="James Sparenberg">

> > How much ORier do you need your OR to be? Depends: package1 | package2
> > (and may involve version number differences)...
>
> Not all rpm distro's recognize this or (and I've seen and filed bugs) they
> will fail because instead of or they do and.  (btw ... || is normally or
> in bash isn't it.)

I was responding to the reference to a "crude form" in Debian. The correct
syntax for OR in the Debian control file is "|", and is not at all related
to the bash shell.

> But when you get to things like synaptic and other GUI based tools for the
> less adept user it isn't obvious in fact some of the tools I've seen will
> demand removal.

Like I said, the behaviour of that feature is easily addressed. In general,
however, that is the right behaviour. If you are removing a package, and no
other package requires its dependencies, and they were only installed to
service the needs of that package, booyakasha, let's help the user and get
rid of them.

> > You can. For instance, Abiword. Or you can suck up the damage of the
> > rather large OOo Writer package and dependencies, which is entirely an
> > upstream issue (OOo has a huge amount of somewhat shared code, and no
> > one has teased it apart yet), not a packaging issue.
>
> Depends on your distro again.  Perhaps in RH ... but not all Linux is RH.

I was speaking specifically about Debian and Ubuntu in this instance, but
again, in all of the examples you've raised (such as KDE PIM stuff in your
other email), the problem lies *upstream*.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

   "This is the new dividing line in public life. It is not a question of
    Left versus Right, but a struggle between insiders and outsiders." -
                                Mark Latham