[linux-elitists] Gentoo, linux users too can be racers

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Mon Oct 29 20:11:28 PDT 2007

On Sunday 28 October 2007 22:38:52 Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="James Sparenberg">
>
> > 3.  RPM and deb both need a logical "OR" for dependencies.  (deb may have
> > a crude form)
>
> How much ORier do you need your OR to be? Depends: package1 | package2 (and
> may involve version number differences)...

Not all rpm distro's recognize this or (and I've seen and filed bugs) they
will fail because instead of or they do and.  (btw ... || is normally or in
bash isn't it.)

> > 4.  Forced removal of packages I want to keep.  Debian is the worst here.
> > I install X that requires Y and Z ... later when I remove X it says that
> > Y and Z are orphaned and need to be removed ... Ubuntu variant of Debian
> > gets real insistant that I remove Y and Z.  I want to keep them so I have
> > to remove them.... and then re-install them Once I do debian says "Ok
> > they aren't part of a dependency chain they are ok.  *sigh*
>
> If you avoid aptitude or apt-get autoremove, the implicit dependency
> tracking is never invoked. That said, it's an extremely handy feature, and
> very easy to adapt to if you are in that situation.

But when you get to things like synaptic and other GUI based tools for the
less adept user it isn't obvious in fact some of the tools I've seen will
demand removal.

> > 5. Forced dependencies.  Were there is no real dependency (like a lib)
> > but instead it's "Well people who like X also want Y and Z.) Yes I want a
> > text editor and no I don't want a full office suite.  Why can't I install
> > a word processor without a full office suite.
>
> You can. For instance, Abiword. Or you can suck up the damage of the rather
> large OOo Writer package and dependencies, which is entirely an upstream
> issue (OOo has a huge amount of somewhat shared code, and no one has teased
> it apart yet), not a packaging issue.

Depends on your distro again.  Perhaps in RH ... but not all Linux is RH.