[linux-elitists] Gentoo, linux users too can be racers

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sun Oct 28 22:52:47 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 04:46:18PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Marc MERLIN">
>
> > That said, what distro it was is irrelevant: it's been modified/overlayed
> > so much, that whatever the base distro was, doesn't matter much anymore.
>
> That's probably a fairly reasonable argument *for* Gentoo, being malleable
> and composable to an extent that is not offered by most other distributions.
> Not my cup of tea, but the dose of reality does seem to apply. :-)

And you could make the same argument for slackware: it does very little for
you, so you gotta do most of the work yourself.
My personal opinion of slackware, I've already given "the very best of 1995"

But to be fair, I don't know gentoo enough to say bad things about it, I
just know enough that I'm not interested in it, and that the gentoo funroll
loops racers amuse me (although I do knlow they're only a (hopefully) small
portion of the gentoo community)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/