[linux-elitists] Gentoo, linux users too can be racers

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox.com
Sun Oct 28 22:52:21 PDT 2007

Jeff, please stop reading my mind.  Thanks.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 04:38:52PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="James Sparenberg">
>
> > 3.  RPM and deb both need a logical "OR" for dependencies.  (deb may have
> > a crude form)
>
> How much ORier do you need your OR to be? Depends: package1 | package2 (and
> may involve version number differences)...
>
> > 4.  Forced removal of packages I want to keep.  Debian is the worst here.
> > I install X that requires Y and Z ... later when I remove X it says that Y
> > and Z are orphaned and need to be removed ... Ubuntu variant of Debian
> > gets real insistant that I remove Y and Z.  I want to keep them so I have
> > to remove them.... and then re-install them Once I do debian says "Ok they
> > aren't part of a dependency chain they are ok.  *sigh*
>
> If you avoid aptitude or apt-get autoremove, the implicit dependency
> tracking is never invoked. That said, it's an extremely handy feature, and
> very easy to adapt to if you are in that situation.
>
> > 5. Forced dependencies.  Were there is no real dependency (like a lib) but
> > instead it's "Well people who like X also want Y and Z.) Yes I want a text
> > editor and no I don't want a full office suite.  Why can't I install a
> > word processor without a full office suite.
>
> You can. For instance, Abiword. Or you can suck up the damage of the rather
> large OOo Writer package and dependencies, which is entirely an upstream
> issue (OOo has a huge amount of somewhat shared code, and no one has teased
> it apart yet), not a packaging issue.
>
> - Jeff
>
> --
> linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/
>
>     "You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking
>        skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills." -
>                              Napoleon Dynamite
-- Nathaniel

--
"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."