[linux-elitists] Gentoo, linux users too can be racers

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sun Oct 28 22:36:58 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 09:22:46PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Sorry, if you use Gentoo, we have to make fun of you. It's just the law.
> > We don't have to be rational, or have a good reason, we just do.
>
> Ok then, go ahead, make fun of me using Gentoo :)

Eh, you can get linux running on any distro you'd like.
Even "slackware, the very best of 1995" :)

What distro you use is mostly irrelevant if you know what you're doing.
Some distros will be more of less a pain in the ass depending on your
beliefs and admin style.
That said, gentoo is indeed tainted by a small percentage of its community,
just like "hondas are for riceboys".
Sucks for clueful gentoo users, but as I said, many of us can't help making
fun :)

> Or ETrade, make fun of them.  They run their whole infrastructure on
> Gentoo.  When this was pointed out to one of their competitors who also
> uses Linux, the response was, "Those ETrade guys are just too damm
> smart..."

Etrade is the worst stock broker out there in my personal opinion.
They have had the worst customer service, clue, and have done things that
have been borderline illegal with me and others I know, and did everything
they could to not give me my money back (took 6 weeks).
But, I'd rather not go back there and give details on that, so ignore this
piece.

Back to the distro issue, what they run is irrelevant. Google has red hat on
thousands of servers, yet, I personally believe (i.e. talking for myself
here), that RH is far from being the best server distro, especially the
release from back then.
That said, what distro it was is irrelevant: it's been modified/overlayed
so much, that whatever the base distro was, doesn't matter much anymore.
If Etrade has clueful linux admins, they've done the same.
Ultimately, what makes the success of linux in a large scale deployment, is
mostly the admins, not the distro as much.

I personally wouldn't use gentoo on servers, but that doesn't mean you
can't. I also had to admin RH on many thousand servers and workstations,
and I think the lack of packages and polishing on some of the packages that
were there (hell, some where shipped where they could not possibly function
out of the box, because no one at RH has ever tried or used them), and while
I thought the base distro left to be desired, I could still do a decent job
making it work. It was just painful.
With debian, there were faults and problems too, but 10x more packages,
dpkg-divert, and default auto handling for updated config files, to name
just those, made the work _so_ much easier.

> Think about that next time you do a stock trade using them...

Not likely to ever happen again, they are at the top of my shitlist, along
with paypal (and again, this is independent of my employers, many of my bad
experiences with those too dated back from when I worked at other places)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/