[linux-elitists] Gentoo, linux users too can be racers

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Sun Oct 28 22:19:46 PDT 2007

On Sunday 28 October 2007 21:22:46 Greg KH wrote:

> > > Hey! I resent that.
> > >
> > > I'm a Gentoo user and my laptop here has been going strong since
> > > 2005-08-05. I've yet to boot up a CDROM and mash the "upgrade" button.
> >
> > Sorry, if you use Gentoo, we have to make fun of you. It's just the law.
> > We don't have to be rational, or have a good reason, we just do.
>
> Ok then, go ahead, make fun of me using Gentoo :)

The tease would be worse if you used Linspire or Xandros believe me.  *grin*
however Marc's point about RH strikes a few cords for me.

1.  The really excellent job most distros do of putting vital patches into the
mix of established releases without breaking them (usually) never
saying "wait till the next full release"

2.  The insistance many distro's have on holding onto a number of older
packages (especially at lib and core level) for 2 and 3 releases (theirs)
despite them being updated upstream multiple times.

3.  RPM and deb both need a logical "OR" for dependencies.  (deb may have a
crude form) The ability for me as a packager to say "depends on ImageMagick >
XX or imagemagick > XX or Imagemagick > Xx would really make it easy to have
one package for 3 variants.  In fact this is often the only thing keeping me
from building a single package is the absence of either a logical or, or,
standardized nameing.

4.  Forced removal of packages I want to keep.  Debian is the worst here. I
install X that requires Y and Z ... later when I remove X it says that Y and
Z are orphaned and need to be removed ... Ubuntu variant of Debian gets real
insistant that I remove Y and Z.  I want to keep them so I have to remove
them.... and then re-install them Once I do debian says "Ok they aren't part
of a dependency chain they are ok.  *sigh*

5. Forced dependencies.  Were there is no real dependency (like a lib) but
instead it's "Well people who like X also want Y and Z.) Yes I want a text
editor and no I don't want a full office suite.  Why can't I install a word
processor without a full office suite.

Ok.. rant off ... I feel better back to my hole in the wall.  I really need to
make my next box LFS again

James