[linux-elitists] Gentoo, linux users too can be racers

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sun Oct 28 20:46:32 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 02:17:26PM -0400, Brandon Edens wrote:
> > > Somehow I doubt you ever do dist-upgrades.  You probably reinstall your
> > > boxes from scratch every time you need a newer copy of firefox.
> >
> > Gentoo! (sorry couldn't resist.)
>
> Hey! I resent that.
>
> I'm a Gentoo user and my laptop here has been going strong since 2005-08-05.
> I've yet to boot up a CDROM and mash the "upgrade" button.

Sorry, if you use Gentoo, we have to make fun of you. It's just the law.
We don't have to be rational, or have a good reason, we just do.

> apt-get dist-upgrade ? eew...

From my point of view, at least someone in addition to the original author
looked hopefully somewhat carefully at whether the upgrade was going to
break something, or not.
With gentoo, you'd just end up with whatever the author/maintainers decided,
whether it was their own upgrade agenda, or in your interest
(*cough* bind *cough* openssh *cough* coreutils *cough...)

While I'm far from being a RH fan, RH also does a reasonable job of
backporting necessary patches (security), when the maintainer(s) do a non
compatible upgrade.
Of course, RH is happy to rotate out your working config file and put theirs
instead... (and in a non deterministic fashion, it's a package by package
build option instead of an admin decision. Bad RH!)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/