[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

joe joe@tmsusa.com
Fri Oct 26 23:58:34 PDT 2007

Modus Operandi wrote:

>   And,'tis true, RPM-based distros are notoriously brittle when
>   upgrading. (I am still using RHEL 4 for a production box somewhere,
>   even though I would benefit greatly from features of RHEL 5, because
>   I don't want to risk the upgrade until I can set it up on a new box!)
>
>   Does anybody have success stories about version jumps using RPM-based
>   distributions?

Back when I was using redhat, I upgraded a number of machines from redhat 8 to
fedora core 1 with an apt-get. Each of the machines remained in service during
the upgrade process, and I had the luxury of waiting for an auspicious moment
to reboot into the new kernel, completing the upgrade.

I've seen similar success stories with suse upgrades using apt-get.

Joe