[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Fri Oct 26 23:43:06 PDT 2007

In the immortal words of James Sparenberg <james@linuxrebel.org>:
> On Friday 26 October 2007 08:31:56 Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > Matthew Galgoci:
> > >
> > > Really!
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Red Hat, Inc
> >
> > Somehow I doubt you ever do dist-upgrades.  You probably reinstall your
> > boxes from scratch every time you need a newer copy of firefox.
>
> Gentoo! (sorry couldn't resist.)

  Ah, Gentoo does have its advantages. Basically, you can upgrade every
  package on the system (the equivalent of a dist-upgrade) every day if
  you feel like it without worrying about it. The caveat is, you can't
  be a moron about setting it up. I also like the fact that you can
  emerge multiple packages at once, unlike apt-get which enforces a lock
  on dpkg so you can't spawn multiple concurrent instances.

  And,'tis true, RPM-based distros are notoriously brittle when
  upgrading. (I am still using RHEL 4 for a production box somewhere,
  even though I would benefit greatly from features of RHEL 5, because
  I don't want to risk the upgrade until I can set it up on a new box!)

  Does anybody have success stories about version jumps using RPM-based
  distributions?

--
/home/modus/.signature
Sat Oct 27 02:26:24 EDT 2007