[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Bob Bernstein rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us
Fri Oct 26 11:33:32 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 08:38:08AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> Come the Revolution, when we're all running djbnix, Marc, you're
> going to be in _serious_ trouble with the commissars, I hope you
> know.

Where to begin? The almost constant scolding tone of this list is
far more Stalinist than anything I've seen in the djb camp. You
see, what matters to the Revolution is the level of consciousness
to which the Party may lay claim. As a rule, Stalinists are
severely deluded as to the agenda to which they are truly
committed.

The FOS agenda tends to celebrate its purported Trotskyite spirit,
but that is the obvious sign of its false consciousness. The harsh
censorious group-think one finds in virtually every thread on this
list is second nature for practitioners of the Party-As-Vanguard
method that Lenin brought to Moscow. Elitism is writ extremely
large in what followed...it is not too much of a stretch to credit
Lenin with the modern idea of 'an elite.'

In case anyone is interested, and I suspect there may be many
around here, there are still a few openings in the next class to
start soon at The Saddam Hussein School of Conflict Resolution! I
doubt many around here will have difficulty meeting the
prerequisites: millenarian zeal, religious enthusiasm, and deep
disdain for human individuality.

4 definitions found

>From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Enthusiasm \En*thu"si*asm\, n. [Gr. ?, fr. ? to be inspired or
     possessed by the god, fr. ?, ?, inspired: cf. enthousiasme.
     See {Entheal}, {Theism}.]
     1. Inspiration as if by a divine or superhuman power;
        ecstasy; hence, a conceit of divine possession and
        revelation, or of being directly subject to some divine
        impulse.
        [1913 Webster]

              Enthusiasm is founded neither on reason nor divine
              revelation, but rises from the conceits of a warmed
              or overweening imagination.           --Locke.
        [1913 Webster]

     2. A state of impassioned emotion; transport; elevation of
        fancy; exaltation of soul; as, the poetry of enthusiasm.
        [1913 Webster]

              Resolutions adopted in enthusiasm are often repented
              of when excitement has been succeeded by the wearing
              duties of hard everyday routine.      --Froude.
        [1913 Webster]

              Exhibiting the seeming contradiction of
              susceptibility to enthusiasm and calculating
              shrewdness.                           --Bancroft.
        [1913 Webster]

     3. Enkindled and kindling fervor of soul; strong excitement
        of feeling on behalf of a cause or a subject; ardent and
        imaginative zeal or interest; as, he engaged in his
        profession with enthusiasm.
        [1913 Webster]

              Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
                                                    --Emerson.
        [1913 Webster]

     4. Lively manifestation of joy or zeal.
        [1913 Webster]

              Philip was greeted with a tumultuous enthusiasm.
                                                    --Prescott.
        [1913 Webster]

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

  enthusiasm
       n 1: a feeling of excitement
       2: overflowing with enthusiasm [syn: {exuberance}, {ebullience}]
       3: a lively interest; "enthusiasm for his program is growing"

>From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 [moby-thes]:

  103 Moby Thesaurus words for "enthusiasm":
     acquiescence, activity, agreeability, agreeableness, alacrity,
     amenability, amusement, animation, ardency, ardor, avidity, brio,
     briskness, bug, calenture, cathexis, cheerful consent, compliance,
     concern, concernment, consent, cooperativeness, craze, crazy fancy,
     curiosity, devotedness, devotion, diversion, docility, eagerness,
     earnest, earnestness, ebullience, elan, enthusiasticalness,
     excitement, exuberance, fad, fanaticism, fascination,
     favorable disposition, favorableness, fervency, fervor, fieriness,
     fire, forwardness, furor, furore, gameness, glow, goodwill, gusto,
     hobby, hurrah, impassionedness, impetuosity, impetus, infatuation,
     interest, joie de vivre, keenness, life, liveliness, lustiness,
     mania, manic-depressive psychosis, matter of interest, mettle,
     passion, pastime, perkiness, pertness, pliability, pliancy,
     promptness, rage, readiness, receptive mood, receptiveness,
     receptivity, relish, responsiveness, right mood, robustness,
     special interest, spirit, spiritedness, tractability,
     ungrudgingness, unloathness, unreluctance, vehemence, vivacity,
     warmth, willing ear, willing heart, willingness, zeal, zealousness,
     zest, zestfulness, zing

>From THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY ((C)1911 Released April 15 1993) [devils]:

  ENTHUSIASM, n.  A distemper of youth, curable by small doses of
  repentance in connection with outward applications of experience.
  Byron, who recovered long enough to call it "entuzy-muzy," had a
  relapse, which carried him off -- to Missolonghi.

--
Bob Bernstein

  IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
  addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
  confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons
  with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational metaphysical
  beliefs.