[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Fri Oct 26 10:55:47 PDT 2007

In the immortal words of "Karsten M. Self" <karsten@linuxmafia.com>:
> on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 05:08:22PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> > Quoting Ben Finney (ben@benfinney.id.au):
> >
> > > One big problem IMAO is that many of the replacements are "web
> > > applications", which is fine *if* you can also do everything *without*
> > > using the clunky web interface (preferably by email messages). IIRC,
> > > that cuts most contenders (including Mailman, IIRC) out of
> > > consideration.
> >
> > Actually, Mailman does accept all listadmin, moderator, and subscriber
> > commands via e-mail.  They just don't publicise that, much.
>
> And CLI if memory serves.

  Yes, CLI for sure. The mailman command-line scripts are not too bad for
  administration, at least compared to using the clunky web interface. I
  had to add /home/mailman/bin to the mailman user's $PATH, but now I
  can manage my Mailman lists without using a web browser.

  As for alternatives, I agree that Mailman has some shortcomings, but
  it's better than whatever I was using before: SmartList (slist) and
  Majordomo. I guess if everyone settles on the Next Best Thing, I might
  be willing to try something new. Until then, I am not motivated to
  change things for dozens of hosted lists.

--
/home/modus/.signature
Fri Oct 26 13:36:25 EDT 2007