[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Fri Oct 26 09:16:57 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 12:06:25PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> Yeah, I'm not worried about that.  I like it better that I can decorate my
> own computer with my own software.  I secure software by locking the doors.
> I can do that far better with my own software than someone elses.

With infinite time, very true.

> > you end up being a DJB that people snicker at with "that guy thinks he's so
> > bright that he had to write his own libc" (instead of fixing/wrapping the
> > few problematic pieces of them, and in the case of reasonable maintainers,
> > contributing the code back).
>
> Ummm - I doubt it.  I never package my stuff for general consumption, for one
> thing, and even when I make my modules available. its under the GPL.

I wasn't trying to insult you by calling you DJB, but at least trying to
point out the slippery slope of turning your nose at everything and trying
to rewrite it all (which is not exactly what you said, but you get the idea)

> But your missing the point.  All those programming tools are on your box for
> a reason.  There is more to programming than creating new useless projects

Yes, to debug and enhance the software I have, or if none really exists,
write my own :)

> for SourceForge.  I have the ability of solving my problems without needing

I was thinking that we might need another irc client :)

> to confine my thinking to predigested packages.  I make them do what I desire,
> even if that includes reject mail with bang marks in the subject headers.

First, you can obviously do that with an existing MLM or MTA without having
to write your own, but while it's true that software is sometimes bad enough
that it makes sense to forget all about it, and write your own (like the
initial USB stack for linux), it ought to be the exception more than the
rule.

That said, it's your keyboard, your time, and your decision, so don't let me
stop you :)

Cheers,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/