[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Fri Oct 26 09:09:53 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 09:52:04AM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Quite frankly, I snicker when I see people spit on mailman, when it's one of
> > the least sucky MLMs out there.
> > It's not perfect of course, but writing a good MLM is a lot more work than
> > most people think
> >

> What bothers me is the instinct that people have to re-write a working
> system rather than fix the bugs that bother them. Even forking an
> existing system would be orders of magnitude less work than re-writing
> something as hoary as a MLM from scratch.

A waste of time.  I have no need to tweed through someone elses bad code for
many things when I can cook up what I exactly want in a few minutes.

That's what tools like mod_perl and gimp scriptfu do. They allow for spontaneous
freedom and creativity.

How do you think the Linux Kernal got started?  Or the Slash server?

Ruben