[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Fri Oct 26 09:00:06 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 11:26:24AM -0400, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
> > Matthew Galgoci:
> > > You can replace the archiver, and the other things you mentioned are
> > > configurable.
> >
> > Really?  You can configure it not to completely bomb out your
> > dist-upgrades?
>
> Really!

Haha, that reminds me why I don't miss Nick's messages. So full of shit as
always...

I suppose it doesn't matter that I've been running mailman for years in
/usr/local/mailman, through 2-3 versions of debian, with no upgrade problem
ever.

I'm sure it probably works fine out of packages most of the time too,
although I suppose it's not impossible that some packager on some system
messed something up, but then 'broken packages on some distro due to one
packager's mistake obviously means that the base software sucks, right?' (1)

But seriously, someone crying here because something broke on a
dist-upgrade, doesn't really belong on this list
(with maybe the one exception of let's say running an old grsecurity kernel
that causes your dist-upgrade to fail in the middle of libc and giving you a
fairly hard system to recover when you only have a remote ssh console to it
and you can't run any shared binaries anymore (Hi Rick, and again, sorry
about that :-D ))

Marc

(1) notwithstanding some rare software which is written in a way that's it's
very hard to sanely package, or where the author would even say "fuck
packages", like the early mplayers.
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/