[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Oct 26 08:30:46 PDT 2007

Marc MERLIN wrote:
> you end up being a DJB that people snicker at with "that guy thinks he's so
> bright that he had to write his own libc" (instead of fixing/wrapping the
> few problematic pieces of them, and in the case of reasonable maintainers,
> contributing the code back).

To be fair, I don't like some things about DJB's approach, but he's
right on one level that's worth noting: it's impossible (or at least no
less difficult than a rewrite) to patch around the fact that a system is
too large and unwieldy to ever be reliably security audited. His
tendency to then use that as a launching pad for fanatically
incompatible redesigns of his quasi-open-source software is another
issue, but on this one point, he has nailed the primary valid reason to
re-implement rather than modify/fork.

That being said, the concern with mailman wasn't that it's large and
security-flaw riddled, it was that a few features were implemented
poorly or at least not to taste, and that's exactly the wrong reason for
a rewrite. It always *seems* like less work to re-write, because you can
write something that does 80% of the job in a few days or less. But,
then there's that 20%... and therein lies the rub.

Worse, this tendency also typically precludes discovering that others
have already been there, or are working on the same issue:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-February/055797.html