[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Fri Oct 26 07:33:41 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 05:08:45AM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> Maybe but I've done it before.  The thing is, I'm not writing softwre to be reused
> and packaged, but something integrated into my current environment where many of
> the parts are already written and clugged into the environemt.  Unlike many,
> I'm a crappy sys admin and decent programer. I often find it easier to rewite
> something myself than download, install and tinker with someone elses stuff to
> disatisfying results, and then have to worry about security updates.

Apart from the fact that I congratulate you for writing bugless software
without peer review, I also congratulate you for being able to write a fully
RFC compliant MLM that won't blow up when you receive input you didn't
account for.
Quite frankly, even a crappy sysadmin can get a reasonable mailman setup
working (including nice archiving), quicker than the best coder can rewrite
a full MLM from scratch.
And you still have time left over to modify/fix/improve mailman to do the
few things it didn't do quite right for you.

But if your attitude to coding is "I'd rather rewrite all this than soiling
my eyes and hands looking at someone else's code", that's not a very good
way to get hired anywhere as a coder, and even if you are super brilliant,
you end up being a DJB that people snicker at with "that guy thinks he's so
bright that he had to write his own libc" (instead of fixing/wrapping the
few problematic pieces of them, and in the case of reasonable maintainers,
contributing the code back).

Just my 2 cents...

Marc
(admined and contributed to mailman for a few years as sourceforge.net
admin, and currently mere user of a custom mailman also running for
thousands of users and lists)
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/