[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Fri Oct 26 05:24:15 PDT 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net):
> > So far the only thing I've looked at casually is Enemies of Carlotta.
> > Are there any other contenders?
>
> Sympa?  (Not tried.)

I tried Sympa on the now disactive eskimo.iglu.org.il. It wasn't too bad, but:

1. Required running a daemon written in Perl all the time, and we were short
of memory on the server.

2. Stored the addresses in a MySQL database. Not such a bad idea, but we also
had MySQL stability problems there.

Of course eskimo.iglu.org.il was old and a bit dysfunctional, so one can
expect that on most modern functional systems it will run better. The new
version uses Template Toolkit for its web-site templates so it should be
pretty nifty.

Aside from that, there's also Siesta:

* http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/02/05/siesta.html

* http://search.cpan.org/dist/Siesta/

As Perl applications go, it tends to have quite a few CPAN dependencies.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish