[linux-elitists] Mailman Must Die

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Fri Oct 26 02:08:45 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 09:26:33PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 11:50:31PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> > Ruben Safir wrote:
> > > How hard can it be to pasrse a little text securely?
> > >

> > I'm sure Eric Allman asked that question once....
>
> Quite frankly, I snicker when I see people spit on mailman, when it's one of
> the least sucky MLMs out there.
> It's not perfect of course, but writing a good MLM is a lot more work than
> most people think
>
> It's just like when Linus said "it can't be that hard to rewrite bitkeeper".
> It's true that it may not be as hard as Larry may say it is, but it's also a
> lot harder than people think.
> Even Linus will admit now that it was a lot more work than he thought.
>
> But eh, it's easy for one to criticize before one has written the said code.

Maybe but I've done it before.  The thing is, I'm not writing softwre to be reused
and packaged, but something integrated into my current environment where many of
the parts are already written and clugged into the environemt.  Unlike many,
I'm a crappy sys admin and decent programer. I often find it easier to rewite
something myself than download, install and tinker with someone elses stuff to
disatisfying results, and then have to worry about security updates.

Ruben