[linux-elitists] Alpine in Fedora 8

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Thu Oct 25 12:07:57 PDT 2007

In the immortal words of James Morris <jmorris@namei.org>:
> Pine users across the globe should be happy with this.
>
> http://spevack.livejournal.com/31924.html
>
> Personally, I look forward to not having to edit my pine binary after each
> update in case I need to post here.

  Coincidentally, just yesterday I had a phone call from a remote user
  on a borrowed computer who was unable to check her mail until I helped
  her to ssh in to the server and launch Pine. The University of
  Washington's screwy license was what pushed me to Mutt in the first
  place, but I have been keeping Pine around for the benefit of
  non-technical users who need a console-based email client in a pinch,
  and don't want to be bothered learning a lot of new key bindings or
  editing a dot-rc file before using their MUA.

  For users who are already familiar with Pine, there's always been the
  option of running Mutt with Pine key bindings (Neale Pickett used to
  alias that to "pink" on woozle.org). But then you miss out on the
  on-screen menus, which are as comforting to newbies as they are
  unneccessary for elitists. I'm pleased as punch to hear the news about
  Alpine -- it certainly has its niche.

  Speaking of Free versions of old-school mailers, has anyone had the
  occasion to test the latest Eudora (Mozilla Thunderbird / Penelope)
  yet? The CEO where I work is very stubborn about using Eudora for the
  Mac, even though it's ridiculously obsolete.

--
/home/modus/.signature
Thu Oct 25 14:54:51 EDT 2007