[linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Re: FW: Ruben Safir - Computer Misuse]

Aaron Burt aaron@bavariati.org
Thu Oct 25 12:03:14 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 02:07:42PM -0400, Brandon Edens wrote:
> Aaron Burt <aaron@bavariati.org> writes:
> > ...Both of us live in (IMHO) the best city in the US, both of us are
> > moving out of the country ASAP.
>
> What city is that? Providence, RI? :)

Close.  Portland, OR.  (Admittedly, my sample population is small.)

> I just read a news posting that the IMF Chief warns that the dollar
> might suffer an abrupt fall. That and talk about problems with the
> stock market and a recession... yeouch.

More abrupt than, say, the past few months?  Years ago, I was figuring
that if I went into debt getting my BSEE, then emigrated, I might pay my
US$ debts with pocket-change.  But the idea is much more scary, up-close.

> Beyond all that, I was discussing with a friend last night the prospects of
> graduate school abroad. Has anyone pursued academics in computer engineering
> and/or computer science outside their native country?

It might be pretty Elite to study CS under the author of Minix, in Amsterdam.

> I suppose I was even curious about work for computer engineers/scientists and
> GNU/Linux system administrators.

I'm told it's very good in major cities, e.g. Toronto or Oslo.  Perhaps
builders-of-technical-magic create jobs wherever they cluster.

--
We are a nation that a few decades ago was looking towards the stars but
who are now firmly affixed on our own national snuff film. -- Tom Higgins