[linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Re: FW: Ruben Safir - Computer Misuse]

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Thu Oct 25 02:36:24 PDT 2007

Ruben Safir:
> What you would describe as childish behavior, however that's defined
> at the moment, was instead a choice  to take their 40K, walk off the
> job and spend 6 months with my estranged kids.

So they offered you $40k before you sent that long mail?  It looked more
like they just threatened you with disciplinary action.

I appreciate that in the end it worked out well for your life and the
decisions put before you.  It's just that the mail you seem so proud of
was a great tactical error, even if it won you a longer-term personal
strategic benefit.  I just don't want other readers of this list to
leave thinking that flaming executives in the name of Free Software is
deserving of "atta' boy!" praise.

> Of course, being that you have limited fiduciary responsibilities to
> either children or under the law as a licensed professional, its very
> easy to sit and throw barbs from the sidelines.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a personal jab at me here.  Are
you saying that:

	1. I have no children and no professional licensing
		restrictions.
	2. Due to #1, I am not qualified to comment on matters of
		internal corporate communication?

If so, I am curious to know what evidence you have for #1 and what
reasoning results in #2.

> You could also afford to learn a little bit about healthcare
> organizations, and take some time to read this:

Everyone in my family has worked in the healthcare industry at one point
or another.  I did not dispute the core problem with your on-the-job
situation.  You were correct in that they were in violation of any
number of regulations designed to protect patient privacy and safety.
This does not change the fact that your mail was clearly a big sign
saying "FIRE ME!"

> At $40,000 PER violation of HIPAA and being personally responsible for
> the computer systems privacy capabilities under the law, the response
> by the IT department and the organization was most welcome, because
> frankly, my neck was being put out on the block every day.  And since
> I have a career with high demand and decent enough salary, I could
> make such choices.

Again, if you read my mail you'll find that I commend you for the action
you took.  I'm not saying you're in the wrong.  But your long angry mail
was all but guaranteed to result in a dismissal.  This much was clear to
anyone who reads it.

> I don't know where you get the idea these events involved any kind of
> advocacy.

So did you then *not* advocate a migration toward virus-free and
spyware-resistant Free Software systems for managing of sensitive
data?  Do you not do so now?

> I wouldn't work for ANYONE who would abuse me like that infront of
> superiors, regardless of any advocacy oppurtunities or money issues.
>
> You'd have to stuff a lot of crack in your pipe, monkey boy, in order
> to believe that leadership skills include accepting abusive situations
> which can also affect the wellbeing of your children.

You introduced this matter as a costly mistake, on the order of around
$136,000 (I assume per year).  Are you saying that keeping your
high-paying job would have harmed your children somehow?

--
You are in an open field west of a big white house         Nick Moffitt
with a boarded front door.                                nick@zork.net