[linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Re: FW: Ruben Safir - Computer Misuse]

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Thu Oct 25 01:44:11 PDT 2007

> So it sounds like you did just about everything right up until you got
> the mail from the higher-ups, and decided to scream and rant like a
> child at an organization that was obviously engineered to punish that
> sort of behavior.  Instead of working patiently with the various parties
> and at least _appearing_ to give ground (so that everyone could save
> face), you just spat in their faces and called the spittle Linux.  You
> set any attempts at reform within that organization back by several
> years.
>
> Next time you find yourself in such a situation, I recommend meditating
> on this HOWTO, and taking its advice to heart:
>
> 	http://zgp.org/~dmarti/linuxmanship/

What you would describe as childish behavior, however that's defined at the moment,
was instead a choice  to take their 40K, walk off the job and spend 6 months
with my estranged kids.  Of course, being that you have limited fiduciary responsibilities
to either children or under the law as a licensed professional, its very easy to sit
and throw barbs from the sidelines.  You could also afford to learn a little bit about
healthcare organizations, and take some time to read this:

http://www.uspharmacist.com/oldformat.asp?url=newlook/files/Feat/HIPAA.htm&pub_id=8&article_id=912

At $40,000 PER violation of HIPAA and being personally responsible for the computer systems
privacy capabilities under the law, the response by the IT department and the organization
was most welcome, because frankly, my neck was being put out on the block every day.
And since I have a career with high demand and decent enough salary, I could make such choices.

I don't know where you get the idea these events involved any kind of advocacy.  It did
result in a complete turn over of their IT policy after I left, but really, who cares.
Other than picking up a few new GNU users from their IT department in the time I spent
there and met with tech people, I could care less what they do.  I wouldn't work for
ANYONE who would abuse me like that infront of superiors, regardless of any advocacy
oppurtunities or money issues.

You'd have to stuff a lot of crack in your pipe, monkey boy, in order to believe that
leadership skills include accepting abusive situations which can also affect the wellbeing
of your children.

On a different note, so what exactly drove you all the way to England?  Did you end up
under the watchful eye of the homeland security department and decide it was best to
relocate?

Ruben

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium