[linux-elitists] Mail user agent (was: The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT)

Jack Lloyd lloyd@randombit.net
Tue Oct 23 11:05:45 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 05:18:06PM -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 08:43:56AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > I keep a Mutt instance running, in a GNU screen instance that I keep
> > running, on a host that I keep running; and access that over SSH
> > (PuTTY on w32) from wherever I have internet access.
>
> Damn.  I'd hoped I was the only one doing that.  I'll admit that the
> mutt/screen/ssh approach has served me well for many years, but I'm sad
> that this decade hasn't produced improvements.  And I still don't like
> how clumsy it is to archive or search old mail, or deal with attachments.

I do this too (same screen instance contains lynx / irssi / aim
sessions, basically all my methods of communicating with people
online: I can disconnect at work and reconnect at home without ever
having to log out of anything).

Remember: "All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less." :)

I keep meaning to check out Sup (http://sup.rubyforge.org/); it seems
somewhat early on but it is explicitly intended as a mutt-killer with
gmail-style searching/tagging.

-Jack