[linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Re: FW: Ruben Safir - Computer Misuse]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Oct 23 07:00:04 PDT 2007

begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 01:49:43AM -0400:

> And for the record, our IT departments software is currently, as we speak,
> in direct violation of the HIPA act.

So take it to the Media.  Print out a huge stac
of config screenshots, reports from vulnerability
scanners, anything technical looking, and get your
local Fox News affiliate, or muckracker news weekly,
or whoever to bite on a "Hospital computers HACKED on
the INTERNET: Is your identity being stolen?" story.

  http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/07/investigative-r.html

Don't go all Free Software to start -- play up the
patient data angle.  If possible, get someone else
who is aware of the situation to talk about it too.
The hospital bureaucrats will have training in being
slick in front of the Media.

Why declare war on your own carpal tunnels with
memo wars and covert Linux installs?  Play to win.
The only thing worse than a petty bureaucrat who
enforces Mandatory Software Policies is the Linux
freak who passes up a big floating softball of an
opportunity like this.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/