[linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Re: FW: Ruben Safir - Computer Misuse]

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Mon Oct 22 23:12:46 PDT 2007

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:55:04 -0400
From: Ruben Safir Secretary NYLXS <ruben@mrbrklyn.com>
To: pharmacy@Brooklyn Local Hospital undisclosed.org, eclueless IT manager@Brooklyn Local Hospital undisclosed.org
Cc: ruben@mrbrklyn.com, bigwig1@Brooklyn Local Hospital undisclosed.org, bigwig2@Brooklyn Local Hospital undisclosed.org
Subject: Re: FW: Ruben Safir - Computer Misuse

Friendly Pharmacy Director and all

I want to make this every clear to everyone involved, so there is no
misunderstanding.  I've spent the last 4 months cleaning those insecure
computers from key stroke capture programs, viruses, adware and spyware
for several months.  The computer which died today, I spend 4 hours of my
own time to resurect a hard drive which failed, most likely
due to the dust and dirt and the fact that those machines are on the
floor and old.

I called IT and told them specifically what I was going to do to try to
fix that sick box in order to get more uptime on those machines.  When
runnign the low level tools to fix the file system, thousands of dead clusters
were found on the hda2 partition where the root DLL's exist for Windows OS.

In no uncertain terms, I want to make it clear that I expect an apology for
this threat.  As a fact, Linux was installed AFTER that system died in my
attempt to fix it.  Furthermore, frankly, the current IT department doesn't
have any personel with as much skill as I have with both microsystem and
large user environments. Every step I've made I've been meticulous in
in keeping supervisors and IT involved and in the loop.

And for the record, our IT departments software is currently, as we speak,
in direct violation of the HIPA act.  They do not adequately protect
pateint information, because the systems are spying on us, and this can be
directly traced to the adoption by Brooklyn Local Hospital undisclosed of both the Microsoft
Exchange Server/Outlook combination, and Internet Explorer, if not for the
use of Windows itself as the enterprise solution for our sensitive medical
records.

Furthermore, I've noted that our routers are not sensitive to Mac addressed
on the network, making every single ethernet port on this system completely
insecure, and the laptops hold important private data on them which
leaves us vernable to theft of data and loss of data.

Finally, let me say that as I did an informal audit of systems, I've
found numerous license violations about the hospital.  People are loading
privately ownered software and downloading software from the net, icluding
games, virus scanners, adware removal, software WINZIP.  If the BSA
does an audit, it is going to cost the hosptial serious money.

On the other hand, every piece of Software I've loaded onto these system
in odrer to clean them of spyware and adware, is licensed to the public
as Free Software, most often under the terms of the GPL (see http://www.fsf.org)
.  They have allowed me to increase the productivity of the entire pharmacy
staff in ways I would be all but too happy to demonstrate if I anyone
was really interested, which my impression is, they are not since I've
tried for months to get a face to face with the IT department.

When the memo went out from IT in regard to their policy, I noted specifically
the problems noted with their policy and software choices. This was enevitable
because of the position they were putting us in.  This tern of evens was
expected and so consider this an official communication which I'm keeping a
permanent record of.

Ruben

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions

proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com

http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.inns.net <-- Happy Clients
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and articles from around the net