[linux-elitists] The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT

Karsten M. Self karsten@linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 22 17:33:19 PDT 2007

on Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 08:13:49PM -0400, Bob Bernstein (rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us) wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 05:07:01PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > Barring that, there are win32 ports of mutt either directly or
> > (preferred) through Cygwin.
>
> What is the reason for preferring ports through Cygwin?

The cygwin installer.  Wait, wrong fantasy software breakthrough....

I prefer a reasonably complete GNU userland.  Cygwin delivers.
Piecemealing Win32 ports individually can, but it's a hell of a lot more
work.  The other 'Nix compatibility environments pretty much uniformly
either 1) suck or 2) are dead (UWIN, MKS, etc.).  If not completely,
then at least in a Miracle Max "mostly dead" sense.

With Cygwin, I've not only got mutt but the other tools I know and love,
with the environment properly set up to do shell escapes as needed, etc.
It's Still Not Linux, but it's sufficiently close that I'm only
moderately annoyed most of the time.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.