[linux-elitists] Ported software via Cygwin (was: The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT)

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Mon Oct 22 17:31:48 PDT 2007

On 22-Oct-2007, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 05:07:01PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Barring that, there are win32 ports of mutt either directly or
> > (preferred) through Cygwin.
>
> What is the reason for preferring ports through Cygwin?

A proper POSIX environment, or as near as can be had on w32 while
still interacting with the rest of the system.

Most software designed for use in POSIX works much more smoothly in
that environment. It's also far less work for the person porting it,
so is more likely to happen properly.

--
 \         "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" "I think so, |
  `\       Brain, but, the Rockettes? I mean, it's mostly girls, isn't |