[linux-elitists] Mail user agent (was: The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT)

Aaron Burt aaron@bavariati.org
Mon Oct 22 17:18:06 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 08:43:56AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> I keep a Mutt instance running, in a GNU screen instance that I keep
> running, on a host that I keep running; and access that over SSH
> (PuTTY on w32) from wherever I have internet access.

Damn.  I'd hoped I was the only one doing that.  I'll admit that the
mutt/screen/ssh approach has served me well for many years, but I'm sad
that this decade hasn't produced improvements.  And I still don't like
how clumsy it is to archive or search old mail, or deal with attachments.

That said, I even use m/s/s from my N770 tablet, pecking the on-screen
keyboard.  Apparently, it's common enough that at least one xterm for
the N770 has built-in Screen hotkeys.

--
...by experiment, anything done in a terminal window looks like work to
management.  -- Peter Corlett