[linux-elitists] The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT

Karsten M. Self karsten@linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 22 17:07:01 PDT 2007

on Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 12:32:08AM +0200, Peter Lowe (pgl@yoyo.org) wrote:
> On Mon 22-10-2007 11:40 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Mozilla's mailreader *does* thread, no?
>
> Yeah, sorry about this - I have to admit to being a bit shit with
> Thunderbird as far as posting to mailing lists goes. I can't figure out
> how to get it to be mutt.

I find that mutt makes a pretty good mutt.

Echoing a trend:  mutt running on an ssh-reachable host, in a screen
session, is my preferred MO.  Barring that, there are win32 ports of
mutt either directly or (preferred) through Cygwin.

> Actually, trying to find a decent Win32 IMAP mail client has been causing
> me a fairly constant amount of distress (which is a bit weird - must be a
> hard problem to solve, making a mail program which doesn't suck).

In the past few years I've tried:  Mail.app, Thunderbird, Eudora, MS
Outlook (several variants), KMail (and Kontact, a multi-app PIM wrapper
for KDE), and Evolution, among others.  Mutt is my preferred client,
work or personal.

Where I need a modicum of interaction with an MS Exchange server,
including limited calendaring, KMail and Kontact work pretty well.  This
requires IMAP access on the Exchange server be enabled.

Every once in a while I need to actually hit Outlook, via rdesktop, to
set up a meeting.  Fortunately that's rare (once or twice a quarter).

Pretty much everything else sucks rocks and sends me screaming back to
mutt.

Mutt on RHEL4 sucked rocks and sent me screaming back to mutt on Debian
(header cache and a couple of keybindings I've since forgotten).

> Thunderbird is the second IMAP client I've tried (after Opera's mail
> client shit all over me - fuck you, Opera M2! Opera may be the best web
> browser in the whole wide world ever ever, but you're a crusty hippy), and
> honestly it's not that great.

I used offlineimap for a while.  It ... worked.  It didn't deliver
nirvana by any stretch.

I'm currently using fetchmail over imap to allow use of procmail filters
in a more straightforward sense, for mutt.  KMail's using IMAP directly.

> In the meantime, I don't suppose anyone can recommend another IMAP client?

See above.

The fundamental problem I've got with most GUI clients is that they're
GUI, and the mouse just plain Gets In The Way.  Some may or may not have
better keyboard acceleration features than others.  What mutt (and my
finger memory, and a sufficient header cache, and a mailstream flow
through fetchmail and procmail) offers is the ability to cut through the
crap, get the hell out of my way, and deliver my mail to me.  T-Bird
isn't aimed at the elitist market.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.