[linux-elitists] The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT

Peter Lowe pgl@yoyo.org
Mon Oct 22 15:32:08 PDT 2007

On Mon 22-10-2007 11:40 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Mozilla's mailreader *does* thread, no?

Yeah, sorry about this - I have to admit to being a bit shit with
Thunderbird as far as posting to mailing lists goes. I can't figure out
how to get it to be mutt.

Actually, trying to find a decent Win32 IMAP mail client has been causing
me a fairly constant amount of distress (which is a bit weird - must be a
hard problem to solve, making a mail program which doesn't suck).
Thunderbird is the second IMAP client I've tried (after Opera's mail
client shit all over me - fuck you, Opera M2! Opera may be the best web
browser in the whole wide world ever ever, but you're a crusty hippy), and
honestly it's not that great. My first impression was, why am I using a
mail client that seems completely unchanged from what I was using in
*1995*. Eudora's mail filters were actually even *better* than
Thunderbird's clunkfest, and it seems incapable of any reliable behaviour
of any sort (threading, HTML / plain text display, sort order, saving sent
mails, client side caching, etc.).

I shouldn't bitch so much, though, it's pretty damn good for free, and I
know a lot of hard work has gone into it; I'm sure much more will do in
the future, too, to get rid of the rough edges.

In the meantime, I don't suppose anyone can recommend another IMAP client?

And, I don't mean to blame Thunderbird entirely for my retarditude with
posts. It's my parent's fault, they raised me wrong.

cheers,

 - Peter

--
pgl@yoyo.org || http://pgl.yoyo.org/