[linux-elitists] The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT

Peter Lowe pgl@yoyo.org
Mon Oct 22 00:36:07 PDT 2007

On Sun 21-10-2007 3:55 pm, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > Peter Lowe:
> >
> > Now tell us your opinions of run-on sentences.

They're OK.

> > The role of top-posting has traditionally been, and should forever be,
> > the act of commenting on a *forwarded* mail to introduce it and provide
> > context.  Top-posting on a *reply* to someone's mail is obnoxious and
> > wasteful.

I wasn't defending posting at the top because it was *important* - I was
top-posting because of the reason that top-posting is normally bad, to try
and increase readability of the message; I wanted to include the large
amount of text that was previously posted to the list as a reference, but
I didn't want to force anyone to scroll past it in order to read my reply.
Perhaps I didn't achieve this, in which case I can do nothing but
apologise. Sorry.

cheers,

 - Peter

--