[linux-elitists] The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Sun Oct 21 06:55:58 PDT 2007

Peter Lowe:
> If there's one time I would say it's OK to top-post, that would be in
> order to keep the contents of what you're referring to in the email,
> without making anyone go through it again, with extra OK-points when
> you are posting to a mailing list and the reason for your email is
> related to said contents' appropriateness to said list, and TRIPLE
> WORD SCORE for believing, in your heart of hearts, that top-posting
> can be OK really, as long as Jesus loves you.

Now tell us your opinions of run-on sentences.

The role of top-posting has traditionally been, and should forever be,
the act of commenting on a *forwarded* mail to introduce it and provide
context.  Top-posting on a *reply* to someone's mail is obnoxious and
wasteful.

In reference to this overall thread, I find that most off-topic posters
defend their practice by insisting that their messages are *important*.
This is protested as if to contrast said messages against any other
posts one may have dismissed as being off-topic and thus uninteresting.

Both Ruben Safir and Jay Sulzberger have a habit of posting New York
events announcement to lists that have few if any subscribers local to
that area.  I'd imagine that they post these messages from the
perspective that since *they* are in New York, the posts seem
immediately relevant and urgent.  I'm confident that this is the reason
that they appear unable to understand why the subscribers to these lists
speak up and object en masse like this.

--
"It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to         Nick Moffitt
find out how nature *is*.  Physics concerns what we can     nick@zork.net