[linux-elitists] The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT

Peter Lowe pgl@yoyo.org
Sun Oct 21 05:07:06 PDT 2007

On Sat 20-10-2007 9:04 pm, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 01:45:25AM +0200, Peter Lowe wrote:
>> Do people on this list rely on it for notifications of interesting events
>> that they wouldn't hear about elsewhere?
>
> Do people on this list top-post?

If there's one time I would say it's OK to top-post, that would be in
order to keep the contents of what you're referring to in the email,
without making anyone go through it again, with extra OK-points when you
are posting to a mailing list and the reason for your email is related to
said contents' appropriateness to said list, and TRIPLE WORD SCORE for
believing, in your heart of hearts, that top-posting can be OK really, as
long as Jesus loves you.

(There's actually more than one time, whi - shit! Behind you! ZOMBIE!)

>> Do people sending adverts for local events believe they are reaching
>> people who are likely to attend, who don't already know about it?
>
> I've no idea.  What makes you ask that, in regards to a putatively
> international conference?

Putatively.

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 :

  putative
       adj : commonly put forth or accepted as true on inconclusive
             grounds; "the foundling's putative father"; "the
             reputed (or purported) author of the book"; "the
             supposed date of birth"

>From Bouvier's Law Dictionary, Revised 6th Ed (1856) :

  PUTATIVE. Reputed to be that which is not. The word is frequently used, as
  putative father, (q.v.) putative marriage, putative wife, and the like. And
  Toullier, tome 7, n. 29, uses the words putative owner, proprietare
putatif.
  Lord Kames uses the same expression. Princ. of Eq. 391.

I'm guessing you meant "commonly thought or deemed", though. So,
seriously? Troll harder.

What makes me ask... Mostly curiosity, I'd say.

cheers,

 - Peter

--
pgl@yoyo.org || http://pgl.yoyo.org/